Saturday, February 17, 2007

News? What news?

So I'm still sick. This is the neverending illness it seems. Tomorrow will be a week since I came down with it and it just drags on and on and on. John keeps threatening to take me to the doctor and I keep saying it just needs to run its course, but if it isn't going away I might have to give in and go to the doctor. I hate admitting defeat like that, but after almost cracking a rib coughing all night and feeling woozy and drained today, I am getting to the point of saying "UNCLE!" with it all. I still don't know what they would do for it, but something has to give.

The other big news that isn't really news is that we accepted another offer on our house. Yeah, yeah, don't get too excited because I'm not. I refuse to celebrate until we sign those papers and hand the keys over.

The buyer was the one who went there three times and took measurements. He’s either military or a reservist getting ready to be called to active duty, because he wants to close in four weeks and get his family moved in before he deploys. At first he wanted us to do a land survey before selling, but that was going to cost $1400 and we flat out refused to do that. I have no idea why someone would even want something like that done, but even if I had that kind of cash sitting around, I wouldn't waste it on finding out whether the property boundaries are six inches different from what we think they are just so the next buyers would know. That's crazy talk in Anita world. The next demand was that he wanted us to pay $2500 toward his closing costs, but we countered that he would either have to raise his asking price or both agents would have to cut their commissions to do that. He was unable to raise because his loan approval topped out at the amount he was offering, but amazingly, our agents both said they’d cut their commissions to cover enough that we could do the deal. I’m still surprised by that. I know how desperately our agent wants to sell the place because it has been a thorn in her side for eight months, but I am surprised the other agent agreed to it. So as of this week, we are officially under contract.

What gets me is the guy guy is having an inspection done, supposedly for his own purposes. I don't blame him for wanting to know, but we are completely firm that the place is sold “as is” and we cannot and will not for any reason change the selling price for anything the inspection person may find wrong with it. It's a fixer upper. Deal with it. That's why I won't celebrate until I have the final papers signed. You just never know what nonsense they will try to pull. I’m not even telling my family until the deal is final. Until then, it's not even news and you didn't hear it from me.

4 comments:

Laura said...

So what's the news? I saw nothing. lalalala
Admitting defeat is never fun but sometimes we have to in order to feel better. I hope you start feeling better soon Anita!! Make sure you get your liquids ;)

Carolyn F said...

OK, I'm crossing everything I can find for you that it sells....

Mary K said...

Well that's the best news I haven't heard all day! Anita I really hope you are starting to get better, and that spring will hurry up and come on. It would be nice to actually go outside without four extra layers of clothes or snowboots!!

Melanie said...

I just wish you would get completely healthy and I wish even more that you would sell that house!! Hang in there!