Saturday, July 28, 2007

Yard Sale Finds

I used to be quite the garage sale junkie. You never know what you'll find there, and being the designated discarder of our family (see the last post), I have the power to walk away without buying useless junk. Nope, it must have a purpose and a good price to entice me into plunking down my cash. I hadn't been to them in years, though. Many, many years. I don't even know why we stopped going, other than having to drag Shona around and constantly chase her out of the freebie toy bins set up to trap unwitting parents into taking home junk.

This weekend, though, we decided to venture out just to see what we would find. Katy made out the best with stacks and stacks of clothing, mostly jeans. I love that she adores faded, worn clothing...actually, she prefers her clothing not to be new (not my child!)...so she's pretty well outfitted for school now. She even fell in love with a coat at one place, so that is taken care of. Katy is definitely the bargain shopper of my two. Shona, on the other hand...well, let's say she won't be a millionaire if early signs are any indication. She kept trying to give away all her coins and overpaying for every little thing she wanted. I do think she looked adorable by the end of the second day strung full of mardi gras bead necklaces, new shades and a straw hat with a lace bow. I wish I'd had my camera. My favorite find of the weekend was this mirror. We have been looking for something to go above the sideboard John inherited from his grandmother. I knew I wanted something of significant size but we were having trouble finding something that would compliment the wood. I think it was intended to be used as a bedroom mirror on a vanity, but I think it works quite well in our dining room.

6 comments:

Catherine said...

What a great find! And WTG Katy for getting the money's worth!

The Mom said...

Beautiful mirror!!

I love going to garage sales too!!

Melanie said...

What a great find! It looks like it was made to match!

The Mom said...

tag you are it. :)

Stamp-o-maticmama said...

super find...
hay girl love to see an update :)

Anonymous said...

Well written article.