Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Still in limbo

I didn't realize it had been so long since I'd blogged, but it has been rather hectic. Shona's birthday was a bust. We invited four girls over for her first slumber party and no one showed up. Not only that, no one called to say they would or wouldn't be there. I find that so incredibly rude, yet it seems standard practice wherever we go. I was so annoyed by that once in Texas that I put at the bottom of an invitation to a bowling birthday party that anyone who didn't R.S.V.P. would have to pay their own way if they showed up on that day. Only one person did that and he was nice enough to pony up the dough. Still...how difficult is it to pick up the phone? To make Shona feel better, I was going to treat her to a movie the next day, but she behaved so badly all morning that she finally had it taken away. I felt bad for her, but I'm not rewarding bad behavior. I finally let Katy call a friend and I drove the two of them to the movie and paid their way in. I didn't want to sit through the film, so I left them there and picked them up later.

In house news...dare I say we might just close this time? I don't want to jinx it, but it looks like the 20th will be the big day. We have papers drawn up to submit an offer on a house after that. I do not want selling my house as a contingency on the offer, so we are waiting. The house we want has been on the market for well over a year, and I figure if it is snatched up during the next two weeks, I'm just not meant to have it! Interestingly, as we were out driving around this evening in some of the neighborhoods currently under construction, we happened upon a man working on a place. He's an electrician by trade but also builds houses. We really liked him and he gave us a LOT of information. If the red house doesn't work out, we might look into having something built. I'm not crazy about waiting up to six months to get a house built, but it seems to be a very affordable option in this area, and it might even be a better way to go since we could get everything we want in a house for what we are offering on the other one. Plus, he told us of two plots available for sale in an area outside of town. You get three acres out there as opposed to a quarter acre in town for about the same price. That got John's attention. He wants to be able to shoot off fireworks in the worst way. We will call and arrange a meeting with him to find out pricing on what we want in a house. Before I hire him, though, I know I would have to check him out with my sister. She's the investigator for the state attorney general's office and her area is contractors and the construction business. If this guy passes her test, I think we will have a winner.

More when I know more!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I know exactly what you mean about the RSVPs. I hope Shona had a good birthday anyway. Good luck on the house! I've been thinking about you!

Carolyn F said...

I'm sending positive vibes...