Sunday, April 30, 2006

Feels Like Old Times

After much stress, worry and consideration, my husband found a job in the state. He graduates college next weekend (with honors, I might add) and will be starting his post-military career this fall as a newly minted high school science teacher. There were only two schools he was very excited about. The local school chose a teacher with 12 years of experience, so we can't fault them for that. This particular school was very excited about John getting his job. As excited as *he* was, I figured we would make it work somehow. And by make it work, I mean we are having a life-changing, total upheaval of a summer. The job is almost two hours to the south, which means pulling the kids out of school, selling the house and moving to a new town. This makes me feel like we are back in the military way of life, changing our living quarters every year, but this time I am feeling too old for this gypsy way of life.
This weekend, we took an overnight trip to our future hometown and gave it a look-through. It's pretty much the town we live in now except it has better restaurants. The first night we were there, the weather was horrible, we were late for the play we had driven in to see, and we were pretty much miserable. The experience didn't leave us with a great impression of the place, but it did improve the next day. A realtor came to his office special just to see us on Saturday to give us information on area houses for rent that might be available when we are ready to move. If our house doesn't sell quickly, we will be renting for the first year. We are seriously considering renting anyway, just to get to know the town better and to figure out where we might want to buy someday, IF we decide to buy at all.
Shona seems to think we are moving to Africa and wants a pet zebra and my family is in a tizzy over the fact that we are moving and selling out, but it's not like they ever come to see us as it is, so I don't give their comments much regard anyway. Unfortunately, with the military and with teaching, you have to go where the jobs are. They don't bring them to you.
The great news is I finally will get to quit my job. Yaaaay! I will be looking for something when we get there, I just don't know what yet. Here's hoping for a secretarial position in one of the schools. More later when I know more!

5 comments:

Carolyn F said...

Congrats on the new job for DH... and I'll be thinking major good vibes for you for the move!

Briana said...

Great job for dh. Everything happens for a reason so hopefully you will get a better job and the kids will be very happy in this new area! Good for you guys! ;)

Anonymous said...

Congrats to your DH on graduating (with honors) and on his new job. It has to be exciting, even though it means moving. I hope everything works out well and that you get a job you love Anita!

Just Say Julie said...

hope the packing is going well...

woohoo on the good restaurants - that's always a plus

and congrats to your uber smart hubby!!

Anonymous said...

Hallo I absolutely adore your site. You have beautiful graphics I have ever seen.
»