Saturday, May 24, 2008

The long weekend

This Memorial Day weekend is almost painful because John and Shona have to go back to school next week. Those darn ice storms this winter forced the school to lengthen the school year by another four days, and no one is happy about it. Even John says it's like being out to sea for six months and knowing you are headed home but still being a week from port. Poor guy. Katy is ecstatically happy, though, since Friday was her last day. We need to get her packed this weekend and out the door. I bought a pre-paid card for her to use as spending money. I just don't want her out there with more than about $20 in cash because I don't trust a bus load of people! Actually about four bus loads of people, not including the two bus loads of equipment. It's a large band.

In any case, we aren't doing anything exciting this weekend. No plans for travel with gas nearly $4 per gallon and John is in the middle of writing cirriculum for a class he is teaching next year. Interestingly, it's a course I just finished at the college. I think Katy is taking it this year, as is her best friend. I'm amazed Katy wants to sit in on her dad's class, but it is a subject she's interested in and he's the only one who teaches it in this school. The great thing is she wouldn't have to take it again in college.

I am working on several projects. I just finished my snowman album and I am doing one layout with the leftover papers. Then I am determined to start an album about my mother. It's a painful subject I've been avoiding, but I need to do it. I'm also determined to get more older pictures scrapped, no matter how bad they are. Those memories need a little love and attention, too, and the longer I go without getting them down on paper, the less I'll remember.

Happy Memorial Day weekend. I hope you are having a relaxing time. I just wish the community pool were open. We'd go do some splashing!

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Those darn ice storm days can really get in the way. And it's great that you are giving some love to those older photos!

Monica K said...

Ugh... extended school! I'm so jealous you're getting scrap projects tackled! Woo hoo!